Preparing for a successful newborn session
Here are a few things that will help you prepare for your session…
- If you are breast feeding it’s a good idea to avoid caffeine, spicy or fast foods 48 hours prior to the appointment. These foods can prevent baby from sleeping and can also give baby a gassy belly making some of the poses uncomfortable for them.
- Plan to be at my studio for 2-4 hours. A typically newborn session will last about 3 hours.
- Dress baby in an outfit that is easily removed. Avoid things that need to pull over the head such as onesies.
When you arrive…
- One of the first thing you will notice upon arrival is the temperature in the studio. I keep it very warm (around 80-85 degrees). This will help keep your baby calm and comfortable throughout the session.
- If your baby is sleeping when you arrive I will ask you to leave them in their car seat. I will use my own techniques and tricks to get them out & undressed without disturbing them too much : )
- If baby is not sleeping when you arrive that’s ok…It happens. I have a lot of soothing tricks and techniques. I’m also extremely patient and don’t mind waiting for your baby to get sleepy.
Things to bring along…
- A pacifier if you allow one (A pacifier can really save the day if baby is having a difficult time relaxing)
- Anything you need for feeding. If you are bottle feeding I encourage you to bring extra.
- Feel free to bring along your favorite pastime (eg. Book, laptop, maybe those thank you cards you need to write.) Posing and soothing newborns can take some time. This is a great time to rest and relax, however if you don’t like to sit idle too long this one is for you.
What I want you to know…
- I can almost guarantee that baby will pee, poo, or spit up on the blankets, props, & myself. This is OK! It happens daily in my studio. I expect it and I never want you to feel bad or stressed about it. I wash all of my items after every session.
- Keep Calm. Your baby may cry or need a little extra time to sooth. This is expected and completely normal. It’s important that you remain calm…if you are stressed your baby will sense it.
- All my sessions are styled in advance. This allows me to be prepared and give my full attention to your baby. If there is a particular color, prop, or outfit you’d like me to use please let me know before the session, so I can be sure to include that for you. Sessions are typically styled one day in advance so letting me know prior to that is extremely helpful.
- Please do not bring other siblings or other children to the session (unless you have booked a Newborn Deluxe session). If you booked a Newborn Deluxe session that does include both family and sibling images. All images with the siblings will take place at the beginning of the session. You will need to make arrangements for siblings to leave shortly after their photos are taken, as we want to maximize the session by keeping baby relaxed.