Preparing for a successful newborn session
Here are a few things that will help you prepare for your session…
- If you are breast feeding it’s a good idea to avoid caffeine, spicy or fast foods 48 hours prior to the appointment. These foods can prevent baby from sleeping and can also give baby a gassy belly making some of the poses uncomfortable for them.
- Plan to be at my studio for 2-4 hours. A typically newborn session will last about 3 hours.
- Dress baby in an outfit that is easily removed. Avoid things that need to pull over the head such as onesies.
When you arrive…
- One of the first thing you will notice upon arrival is the temperature in the studio. I keep it very warm (around 80-85 degrees). This will help keep your baby calm and comfortable throughout the session.
- If your baby is sleeping when you arrive I will ask you to leave them in their car seat. I will use my own techniques and tricks to get them out & undressed without disturbing them too much : )
- If baby is not sleeping when you arrive that’s ok…It happens. I have a lot of soothing tricks and techniques. I’m also extremely patient and don’t mind waiting for your baby to get sleepy.
Things to bring along…
- A pacifier if you allow one (A pacifier can really save the day if baby is having a difficult time relaxing)
- Anything you need for feeding. If you are bottle feeding I encourage you to bring extra.
- Feel free to bring along your favorite pastime (eg. Book, laptop, maybe those thank you cards you need to write.) Posing and soothing newborns can take some time. This is a great time to rest and relax, however if you don’t like to sit idle too long this one is for you.
What I want you to know…
- I can almost guarantee that baby will pee, poo, or spit up on the blankets, props, & myself. This is OK! It happens daily in my studio. I expect it and I never want you to feel bad or stressed about it. I wash all of my items after every session.
- Keep Calm. Your baby may cry or need a little extra time to sooth. This is expected and completely normal. It’s important that you remain calm…if you are stressed your baby will sense it.
- All my sessions are styled in advance. This allows me to be prepared and give my full attention to your baby. If there is a particular color, prop, or outfit you’d like me to use please let me know before the session, so I can be sure to include that for you. Sessions are typically styled one day in advance so letting me know prior to that is extremely helpful.